Sunday 13 April 2014

Favorite Artist: Mark Rothko



Mark Rothko (born Marcus Rothkowitz) (September 25, 1903 – February 25, 1970) was a Russian-born painter. He attended Yale University in the 1920s but dropped  He is regarded as one of the greatest abstract expressionists of all time. What I love about his artwork, is the fact that most famous artist had figures, humans as subjects, however he was more of a colorist.


(Mark Rothko, Untitled,1949, National Gallery of Art)


In his earlier works, he utilized bright colours, throughout most of his paintings. He began to darken his work, incorporating colours such as maroon, brown, and black. Sadly, at the age of 66 he took his life. His recent health problems and his separation from his wife might have accelerated his death.

What pains me, is the fact that he cut his life short. I usually have a problem when someone talented does that. It leaves you wondering what else they might have achieved, but we weren't there when their lives took nosedives. I just pray if I get the chance to be famous, that I surround myself with good people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment